Sunday, November 22, 2009

“The current fragmented reactionary approach to addressing the challenges of poverty does not work . . .

“A comprehensive approach is needed to truly move people forward. This comprehensive approach to addressing poverty can only be achieved through partnerships between organizations that currently serve and interact with people in poverty: educational, social service, judiciary, law enforcements, health care workers, etc.”

-Dr. Donna Beegle, founder of PovertyBridge

Orientation, of Service and Place

“I do solemnly affirm that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic;

That I will bear true faith and allegiance to do the same;

That I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion;

And that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of my service.”

This is the United States Oath of Service, which is taken by the President, Peace Corps members, military and foreign service personnel, and Corporation for National and Community Service volunteers, every year, all the time, worldwide, by the thousands.

AmeriCorps*VISTA draws all kinds, from economic, social, educational, religious, ethnic and racial backgrounds. Last week at pre-service orientation in Indianapolis there were straight-out-of-college graduates, and retirees who had served in Vietnam. Some had lived in poverty their whole lives, others said on those living in poverty, “I just don’t understand why people experience it.”

We discussed political and personal reasons of poverty, why we just can’t seem to get around it, and how we, as AmeriCorps members, as Volunteers in Service to America, will do our best to help people out of it.

In AmeriCorps, Peace Corps and other grass-roots not-for-profits this is achieved through capacity building. Poverty is best defined by a lack of resources. This can be financial, emotional, mental or social. Simply not having roles models—“having frequent access to adults who are nurturing and who don’t involve in self-destructive behavior”—is a poverty.

By transferring skills, products and relationships we’ll help our organization run smoothly and effectively. This in turn will help those seeking more resources.

It’s such a really difficult task, given that we have a year, and given that most of us aren’t from the community where we’ll be serving. Like I learned while in my 4,000-person village in Azerbaijan, it will take patience, patience, hard work, and getting to know people.

Across our landscape, from east to west coast and back to Middle America, with all our resources and capacity, we all agreed, “There’s just no reason poverty should exist.”

No comments:

Post a Comment